My toddler loves to explore outdoors, regardless of the cold, wet or rainy weather that has been the norm over the past few weeks. When we can’t get out to play, we like to get a little creative indoors. So today, I’m sharing a simple yet delicious rainbow cupcake recipe we made to celebrate the Spring weather and rainbows that seem to be in abundance when the rain showers meet the sunshine! (This also makes a great treat for St. Patty’s!)
Note: For homemade cupcakes, follow the steps below. For partially homemade, replace steps 2 & 3 with pre-made cake box instructions.
|Delicious Rainbow Buttermilk Cupcake Recipe|
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pans with paper liners or butter.
- Beat the butter and sugar at medium speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy in a large mixing bowl. Add in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and baking soda. Add one quarter of the dry mixture to the butter-egg mixture and then add the vanilla and a third of the buttermilk. Repeat beginning and ending with the flour mixture and scraping well after each addition.
- Divide the batter into 5 bowls and use food coloring packets to tint the each new batter. To create a rainbow in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, use red, orange, yellow, green and blue.
- Then pour a small amount of each batter into the cupcake pans, starting with the red, then orange, yellow, green and blue. Let the batter spread out and settle by itself.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans of a rack for 5 minutes; Completely cool before frosting.
Enjoy the delicious and eye-catchy treats, sure to please anyone with a sweet tooth!