Craving something sweet for St. Patty’s Day? I know I am :)! Today I’m sharing a simple yet delicious rainbow cupcake recipe I made just in time to share in the luck of the Irish!
Note: For homemade cupcakes, follow the steps below. For partially homemade, replace steps 2 & 3 with pre-made cake box instructions.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pans with paper liners or butter.
- Beat the butter and sugar at medium speed with electric mixer until light and fluffy in a large mixing bowl. Add in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and baking soda. Add one quarter of the dry mixture to the butter-egg mixture and then add the vanilla and a third of the buttermilk. Repeat beginning and ending with the flour mixture and scraping well after each addition.
- Divide the batter into 5 bowls and use food coloring packets to tint the each new batter. To create a rainbow in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, use red, orange, yellow, green and blue.
- Then pour a small amount of each batter into the cupcake pans, starting with the red, then orange, yellow, green and blue. Let the batter spread out and settle by itself.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans of a rack for 5 minutes; Completely cool before frosting.
Enjoy the delicious and eye-catchy treats, sure to please anyone with a sweet tooth!