Looking for easy ways to make Christmas ornaments for baby at home? These DIY keepsake Christmas ornaments are a precious way to celebrate baby’s first Christmas together.
One of my favorite Christmas traditions is to make homemade ornaments with the kids every year — and I like to start when they’re babies!
Having a precious handprint or fingerprints painted on an otherwise plain ornament (okay these are kinda clever) helps to make baby’s first Christmas that much more special. It’s a loving way to capture memories into a keepsake that will last for years to come.
The BEST part of all this? These homemade Christmas ornaments for baby become a family tradition that you can start no matter how little your child is. (And if you’re worried about ornaments safe for baby, give this post a quick read!).
Below you will find 20 of our favorite homemade Christmas ornaments and keepsakes that you can create with your baby from day 1!
Note: The post has been updated to ensure all links are live. Images, therefore, may have changed.
The list below contains an adorable array of ways to commemorate that first Christmas. From classic handprint and footprint salt dough ornaments to colorful Christmas tree and photo ornaments – you’re sure to find a favorite.
(NOTE: Most of these baby ornaments can be preserved as keepsakes to last a lifetime with mod podge sealant!! Don’t forget this step if you want to actually make these last for next Christmas!!!)
Homemade Keepsake Ornaments for Baby’s First Christmas
Click the links below to see DIY baby ornament ideas and start creating beautiful memories this Christmas!
1. Salt Dough Snowman Keepsake Use baby’s handprints to create a snowman keepsake ornament.
2. Fingerprint Christmas Tree Ornament Treasure little fingerprints all season long with this adorable Christmas tree ornament!
3. Handprint Santa Ornament Make your child smile with this fun Santa ornament using baby’s handprint.
4. Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids Have more than one baby? Make a family Christmas tree using everyone’s handprints!
6. Salt Dough Handprint Christmas Tree Add this special Christmas tree ornament to your very own Christmas tree.
7. Handprint Photo Keepsake Ornament Add a special photo to a handprint craft and create a long-lasting keepsake.
8. Simple Salt Dough Handprint Ornament Want to make a super easy Christmas ornament with your baby? Use salt dough to make a simple handprint ornament – no paint needed.
9. Homemade Salt Dough Ornaments Try this cute Santa and reindeer salt dough ornaments.
10. Mod Podged Christmas Ornament Looking for something extra cute? You’ll love this mod podge multi-layer ornament idea using baby blocks!
11. Mitten Tree Keepsake Treasure baby’s handprints with these mitten keepsake ornaments!
12. Salt Dough Handprint Ornaments Get creative with an array of ideas for salt dough handprint ornaments!
13. Reindeer Handprint Ornament An adorable reindeer handprint ornament that will brighten up any tree.
14. DIY Christmas Photo Ornament Create a simple photo ornament for baby with this DIY baby’s first Christmas ornament!
15. Footprint Ornament Craft This glittered craft is such a SMART way to create a beautiful DIY baby footprint Christmas ornament without actually putting glitter on your baby’s foot!
16. Baby Memory Ornament Keep all of baby’s very first memories close by this Christmas with this unique idea.
17. Baby Food Jar Ornament Create a personalized baby ornament while upcycling those food jars.
18. Handprint Snowman Ornament Turn a handprint craft into a Christmas ornament with a simple tweak!
19. DIY Ultrasound Snow globe Ornament For a really unique baby ornament this Christmas, add an ultrasound picture!
20. Photo Transfer Ornament (Video) Watch this DIY ornament tutorial to see how you can transfer a photo onto the wood with just a few simple tools — here’s the pack of pre-cut wood baubles you’ll need that comes ready to hang!
Remember to treasure these early years with your babies anyway you can — keepsake ornaments, crafts and most of all, time together! Don’t forget that secret ingredient to truly preserve them!
Grab this FREE printable calendar to help you choose simple, fun activities for baby’s 1st Christmas!
Want more on Baby’s First Christmas or Winter?
You may also enjoy:
- Babyproofing your Christmas Tree
- Stocking Stuffer’s for Baby’s First Christmas
- Fingerprint Christmas Tree Ornament
- 100 Things to do for Baby’s First Christmas
Ana, a mom to three rambunctious little boys, has supported hundreds of thousands of women throughout their pregnancy and motherhood journey since 2012 as a blogger and maternal health advocate at MommysBundle.com.