Looking to babyproof your Christmas decorations? Decorate the Christmas tree with an array of shatter-proof ornaments safe for babies and toddlers.
Each year around Christmas time, moms of babies and toddlers must tackle the seasonal predicament of babyproofing their Christmas tree. This usually means leaving the bottom third of the tree undecorated or investing in some heavy-duty baby gates as a barrier.
While these are great options, there’s an even better solution: decorating the entire tree as mom sees fit, EXCEPT for the bottom area which should be reserved for non-breakable, ornaments safe for babies and toddlers.
Even if you might think that would look odd at first, really think about what it means for your mental health and child’s safety.
For starters, it means mom has a heck of a lot less to worry about. No more worrying over breakable glass ornaments that little kids tend to confuse with balls (hehe!). Because those adorable decorations made of glass, salt dough, and other fragile homemade ornaments should be near the middle or top.
It also means if the ornaments are within baby or toddlers reach to yank off, NO BIG DEAL. The ornaments designated for this area should be cute kid-made ornaments made from disposable materials like craft sticks, pipe cleaners, cardboard or paper. (And remember, those baby keepsake ornaments should be near the middle or top to truly make them keepsakes.)
This list of baby-safe ornaments is for those moms in particular that want to enjoy their holiday as much as the kids. Because the last thing mom needs are more of THESE ornaments within a little one’s reach!
NOTE: While the list of ornaments include non-breakable material so you don’t have to worry about ornaments shattering and kids getting injured, you may find a few of them use small pieces — like googly eyes, decorating jewels or beads. Therefore, if your baby is still in the phase where they put everything in the mouth, please find alternatives and adjust accordingly. Simple coloring, painting, and stickers make great alternatives for those items.
Nonetheless, I’ve noted below where a bit more supervision may be required.
Christmas Ornaments & Decor Safe for Babies
Below are some simple and cute Christmas ornaments to decorate your entire tree with, but most fittingly on the lower half! Includes ornaments made from felt, cardboard, popsicle sticks and paper that you won’t have to worry about your kid pulling down and breaking! You can even get toddlers involved in the process to make the experience extra special.
- Handprint Reindeer Ornament – One of the simplest and cutest Christmas ornaments perfect for babies and toddlers.
- Fruit Loop Ornament – Love, love this clever edible ornament, safe for those who put everything in their mouth.
- ABC Christmas Ornament – Easy ornament to make with the kids and then proudly display on the tree.
- Stained Glass Window Ornament – Beautiful, colorful stained glass ornament to hang on the tree (or on the door!).
- DIY Christmas Photo Ornament – Use the kids’ fingerprints to create this adorable picture ornament.
- Felt Train Ornament – Let the kids help create these festive felt train ornaments safe for those delicate hands.
- Grinch Felt Ornament – Cute and baby-safe ornament of a holiday character the kids will surely recognize.
- LolliPop Photo Ornament – Fun way to show family and loved ones how special your little ones are.
- Yarn-Wrapped Pinecone Ornament – Simple, fun tree decoration you won’t stress if the kids pull off.
- Cardboard Christmas Tree Ornament – Another super fun way to let older babies participate in the decorating.
- Paint Chip Christmas Tree Ornament – Perfect way to get both babies and older toddlers creating fun ornaments.
- Yarn Star Ornament – Beautiful yarn ornament mom can make and not stress over if the baby reaches for.
- Santa Hat Ornament – Adorable, fun Christmas ornament little ones can make.*
- Aluminum Foil Tree Ornament – Such a clever and fun ornament idea that mom can feel happy about.*
- Popsicle Stick Reindeer Ornament – Another really cute kid-friendly ornament kids will love making!*
- Wood Slice Penguin Ornament – Fun DIY ornament mom can make with the kids with paint.
- Stained Glass Nativity Ornament – Stunning way to decorate the tree, without any real glass involved!
- Perler Bead Ornaments – Super cute Christmas ornament to make with kids.*
- Puffy Paint Ornaments – Spruce up your tree with a colorful design using puffy paint.
- Pour Christmas Ornaments – Create another unique design with paint on simple wooden ornaments.
- Frozen-Inspired Snowflake Ornament – Fun, simple craft ornament toddlers can help decorate.*
- Snowflake Ornament – Gorgeous, bright snowflakes kids can decorate and proudly display.*
- Rudolph Puzzle Piece Ornament – Adorable Rudolph ornament little ones will love.*
- Paper Straw Ornament – Simple, fine-motor ornament toddlers can help create.*
- Popsicle Christmas Tree Ornament – Creative, fun Christmas tree ornament the kids will show off on the tree.*
*Although these ornaments are all safe for little ones, to be super extra cautious (like me) you may simply want to ensure the beads, jewels, stickers are adhered securely with glue or adhesive.
So if you’re tired of over-stressing about rearranging the Christmas ornaments on the tree or ways to baby proof the Christmas decorations, use these baby-friendly ornaments to help provide a little more sanity this holiday, so you can focus on everything else on your list.
Want more on baby’s Christmas?
Ana, a mom to three rambunctious little boys, has supported hundreds of thousands of women throughout their pregnancy and motherhood journey since 2012 as a blogger and maternal health advocate at MommysBundle.com.