Inside: Looking for an easy meal idea as a new mom caring for little ones? Try this yummy baked mac and cheese recipe — which makes a simple freezer meal you can save time on for the whole family to eat.
Being at home these days in preparation for the arrival of our little bundle of joy, means I have a lot more time on my hands for trying out new recipes and cooking ideas that have been on the back burner for, well, years. I’ve never really had the time — or urge, really — to get into cooking. But now it’s becoming a bigger hobby of mine, and I know with a little practice, my “latin cooking skills” will begin to shine.
This past weekend, I decided to just start with a simple mac and cheese casserole and infuse it with a bit of nutrient, via peas. It actually wasn’t as time-consuming or daunting of a task that I imagined it to be — just 8 minutes prep and 20 minutes bake time to get that crunchy homemade cheesy taste I was craving.
I was pretty impressed with the results, since believe it or not, it was the first time I ever tried to cook mac and cheese from scratch!
The dish was quite tasty…with the perfect blend of cheeses and light veggies. I decided it would be a simple recipe to add to my freezer meal planning — as I know I will be short on time when baby arrives.
Check out the easy mac and cheese recipe below!
Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of pepper
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package elbow macaroni pasta
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Microwave 2 cups milk at HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in warm milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk in 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese.
- Stir in 1/2 (16-oz.) package elbow macaroni pasta.
- Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with extra-sharp Cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly!
Ana, a mom to three rambunctious little boys, has supported hundreds of thousands of women throughout their pregnancy and motherhood journey since 2012 as a blogger and maternal health advocate at MommysBundle.com.